JUSTPOSE™ BLOG. NOV’17
15 Things You Might Not Have Known About Instagram
It’s the app we all love to hate. You know, the one with the neon bright icon that we all pick up our phones to scroll through for 5 minutes, feel guilty about and put the phone down again… And then 10 seconds later, we’re doing the scroll again.
Instagram is arguably the app of the moment with an estimated 700 million monthly active users. Its total number of adult users has doubled since 2012 and, put quite simply, it’s good to understand the app. Here are 15 things you might not have known about IG:
- 48.8% of brands are now on Instagram.
- 50% of all people on Instagram follow at least one brand.
- Most Instagram users are aged between 18 and 29.
- The most followed person on Instagram is… Selena Gomez.
- Roughly 95 million photos and videos are shared to Instagram per day.
- In December 2016, there were more than 282 million selfies on the app.
- 68% of Instagram’s user base is female.
- Posts with at least one hashtag generate an average of 12.6% higher engagement.
- The most Instagrammed foods are pizza and sushi. Sounds about right.
- Instagram videos (including GIFs!) receive double the amount of engagement of a photo.
- 7 out of 10 Instagram hashtags are branded.
- Posts with a location receive around 79% more engagement.
- 60% of Instagram users say that they have learned about a product or service through Instagram.
- The first ever Instagram photo posted to the app was of a dog. #dogsofinstagram anyone?
- The old, yellow photo “effect”, so popular in Instagram pictures, is caused by the poor quality cyan dye, which was used in the film produced until the mid-80s, and is “particularly unstable” and prone to fading, leaving behind only yellow and magenta in the photograph.